We have been thrilled with the positive response from pastors and leaders to our recently released interactive planning tool: What Now? Here are a few tips for how to use the tool well in your context.
- Adapt the tool for use in your context: We designed the process to work well as it is laid out in the tool, but you may find there are ways to adapt it for use in your specific context that work better. Go for it! Use the tool in whatever ways are most helpful for your team.
- Identify which section is the most critical for your team: You may find that you want to spend more time on one or two of the sections and less time on others (Mission, Needs, Constraints, Activities, Resources, or Bringing it All Together).
- Consider what platform will work best: Will you be meeting in person for these discussions? Will you be meeting via phone or video conference? The way you meet will impact how you use the tool. Zoom and other video conference platforms have many features (such as breakout rooms, polling, and a virtual whiteboard) that can assist you in the process of working through What Now? Also try copying this Google form template as a way to efficiently collect input from your team prior to, or during, the process (see instructions on page 5 of the tool).
- Get people excited: What Now? is designed to take people on an interactive journey together and provide energy and momentum for conversations that can be difficult. Your excitement about the process will be contagious with the rest of your team.
- Go Deeper: Check out the extra resources in the Going Deeper bonus pack. There are suggestions for how to grieve the loss of familiar practices, exercises about overcoming challenges, and more. The bonus pack is available via the same What Now? link.
Do you have a tip of your own to share? Let us know how you have used the tool and what tips you'd offer!
“Working through the What Now? tool created an a-ha moment that was transformative for our team”
- Rev. Stacy Williams Duncan, Pastor, Little Fork Episcopal Church, Rixeyville, VA
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us as we seek to help congregations respond to the timely question, ‘What Now?’